The Makino Aquatic Centre (Makino) is an indoor and outdoor heated aquatic site. We provide safe, all year swimming for the community.
The outdoor complex was constructed in stages with the 50-metre pool completed in 1972. The learner’s and toddler’s pools followed in 1974 and the Dive pool completed in 1975.
The outdoor complex includes:
- Heated 50-metre Olympic swimming pool
- Heated Dive pool with two dive boards (1m and 3m)
- Heated Learner’s pool
- Toddler's fresh water, splash pool
- Children's playground with slide entry into learner's pool
- Tiered grandstand
- Two, free to use, electric BBQ's
- Attractive grassed areas with several shade coverings
The Indoor complex was constructed in 1992 and in 2015/16 underwent a major re-development. The facility includes:
- Heated 6 lane, 25-metre swimming pool, with ramp access
- Heated dual level play pool with beach area
- a heated wet deck/ play area
- A heated new dedicated learn to swim pool with boys and girls changing rooms and poolside showers
- Male, female and family changing rooms
- Two fully accessible changing rooms with overhead hoist and change table
- Coin operated lockers
- Two bookable meeting rooms
- Shop selling Zoggs swimming merchandise; goggles, togs, swimming accessories, etc.
- Soft drinks, coffee and TipTop ice-creams for sale at reception
The Makino provides a wide range of swimming and recreation programmes including
- Learn to Swim classes for babies through to adults
- Swim Squad training
- Aqua Fitness
- Canoe polo
- Inflatable Challenges
- Events, such as the Makino’s Summer Smash, Whanau Day and Dogs in Togs.